Friday 7 September 2012

Something awesome!

I am like a bloody snail! when Facebook was ubiquitously littered with 'Trendsetters' I should have known something BIG was going to happen, something that would 'redefine the fashion in Nepal' as the slogan reads. I am here in my pajamas nursing my absence and at least trying to write about the show, the designs I have seen only in pictures. I know I don't have to write it because mainstream media has already covered about it, the pictures aren't organic and the show is already a week old, but it has triggered a pompous(the good kind) excitement in me! The excitement and confidence that abolishes the mocking feeling towards the fashion in Nepal.
'Trendsetters' happened in 1st September 2012, with seven designers showing their way to redefine the fashion in Nepal. In my previous article I blogged about Tenzin Tseten Bhutia, with no knowledge that there were also half a dozen fashion craftsmen (and the fact that there was a show! boo me!) It is more than just a fashion show. It is an introduction of something awesome!
I am no fashion expert, but when analyzing the clothes I came up with some adjectives that defined my feeling towards them, which has also helped me categorize each designs.
1)HAA (House of Alternative Apparel) (strong, smart and bringing out the man within.)
The fall/winter collection were as strong as it was labeled. Knowing that it is a product of Nepal, and the fact that it's about the progression of Nepali women, releases an admiration of pride.
There are two incredible women behind HAA, nilima maden, the designer and Malvika Subba, the idea. Every designs had it's own individuality. So strong, powerful and feminine, coming it from Malvika Subba I wasn't surprised as she is the living walking example of it!
I asked- why is HAA unique?
HAA- HAA is unique because it's the first Fashion house to have two local levels in Nepali market, 'Just T's' for men and AIRA for women. The clothes are retail made, trendy and affordable. The price ranges from Rs 650 to max Rs 4000 depending on the make, designs and fabric.
What inspired you to caption every piece so strongly?
The concept is about strong, independent Nepali women, In recent years, women are not shy of taking the manly roles in life and they have proved so much efficient as men. Women can be the mother and a father, they can be a lawyer, a corporate dynamite and women do it with much elan. They are not afraid to bring out MEN in them. That is why every piece has been captioned, as there is a story behind each of them.
View in Fashion in Nepal?
Fashion in Nepal has progressed a lot in the last two years. Young people are developing their own unique style, yet there are 80% of the population, who are yet to come out of their comfort zone and explore a whole new level.

2)GABI(individual, prints and rebellious)
When I found out that the designer behind GABI is former model Bina Ghale, I literally gasped with wow!I had always been her admirer and her comeback as a designer definitely perked me up. Her collection 'Parichaya' (Introduction) contradicted other designer's designs. There were leathers, awesome art prints and the shoes were ah-mazing! It was very individual and artistically rebellious.

3)Tenzin Tseten Bhutia (soft, sexy and feminine)
He's already had his introduction but he's too goo to be not featured again and again!. His collection 'KETI' (Girl, Lady) all lived up to it's label. White, gold, soft prints and the big tika on the forehead, so wonderfully choreographed, it's wonderful being a keti.
4)Astik Sherchan (Dapper, Mature and sophistication)
The name itself is the label. Astikk's designs were, like I said in the bracket above, dapper and sophisticated.   I find his designs to be mature, fit and sharp in sense of his tailoring technique. I am not sure but I think a different branch named 'NOW' was also a part of Astik's designs (see this is what happens when you appreciate it from far!) NOW explored menswear also.
5)Oadhni (Traditional, Feminine)
Whatever the trend, whatever the change Kurtas, Lehengas are timeless and a must for us. The women behind these traditionally modern wears are Khusbu Dangol and Swarmin Rai.  Beautifully made and literally breath taking, it once again high lights the wonderment of being a woman. The colors were rich, the embroidery was posh and I guess the feel of the clothes was nice too!
6)Crossroads Apparel (Black, sexy and daring)
Subexya Bhadel  is the designer of Crossroads Apparel. The theme was black and it was beautiful. Sexy yet daring and confident.
7) House of Fashion (Colors and experimental)
House of Fashion's collection was different from all the above. For a start it was more experimental.It was very avant garde, colorful, festive and dramatic. It was all fun!

Every designs were unique and everything explored different sides of femininity (except for the male shows of course). So far the plans are to make this a yearly event(YES!!) and I hope next year I will be one of the witness.

2 comments:

  1. awesome... now thats wot we got to see rarely then... international touch.... amazing try....:)
    liked gabi's and tenzing's collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey
    i have a givway on my blog if u wanna enter ., please visit my blog :) thank you !

    ReplyDelete