Friday 17 February 2012

African Art Anyone? (part 1)


Yes, it was that fictional Psychiatrist, Dr.Frasier Crane from the sit.com ‘Frasier’ who introduced African arts to me. Albeit his sometimes annoying pomposity, I really admire the sophistication and the knowledge he carries.

Instead of starting from the foundation I decided to start from what’s been around in these recent years. I found a book which featured a collection of contemporary African Arts by Jean Pigozzi, the famous businessman, philanthropist amongst other. 

I found the collection to be interesting and intriguing. I am just getting started and here are some of the best of the best. 



Esther Mahlangu (south Africa). She is the first Ndebele artist to transpose wall painting  into canvas. she does it freestyle . Acrylic on canvas


'J'aime la couleur' (I like colour) bt Cheri . Acrylic and glitters on canvas.
"My painting is concerned with people lives. I'm not interested in myths or beliefs. I want to change mentality"

Right and overleaf, baptism colour by Barthelemy Toguo.      
"At 39 as I was still unmarried, my family suspected that I was impotent and considered having me treated by  traditional medicine. I wasn't impotent at all, but my whole life was focused on the art"
Toguo was master of watercolor and he invented 'baptism colour'.



untitled

untitled

 by Seni Awa Camara
"I am thinking I have an idea I am working"



No comments:

Post a Comment