Sunday 26 February 2012

This or that


Obviously the first image that pops in my mind whenever I think of Marilyn Monroe is the one with the white halter dress, where she is slightly blown away and where she flashes that evergreen flirty smile. I am not a big fan of hers but she is respectable. Despite her objectification and her portrayal as a sex-kitten, I think in a way she had that little charisma of being a feminist, because whilst other women in that era chose to be a housewife, she did what she wanted, and that’s my definition of feminism ‘doing what you want to do, not just doing things because men did/does it too’ She had the skills of ‘sexiness’ and she just manipulated the world with it. Yes being used and viewed as an object varies from the traditional feminist aesthetics (FA) because FA encourages you to be ‘somebody’ makes an identity, but remember Marilyn did that. She WAS someone and she always has an identity. She is definitely in my book of ‘feminists who wears lipstick’
 ‘My week with Marilyn’ is on theatres and I think it’s a good time to catch Michelle William’s fashion in portrayal of Marilyn in the docu-drama. The off-screen Marilyn wears cardigans, Capri pants and pencil skirts and white, beige, camel, red and black are the prime colours. 
I wanted to dedicate this entire article to the outfits in the film but somehow the feminist jabbering (which has been in my mind for some days) sqeezed in (Apologies;)) thus the title. 
Anyways, check out Michelle's version of Marilyn, or is it the real Marilyn herself!!?







No comments:

Post a Comment