Tuesday 7 February 2012

That Korean(Oriental) Revolution


I know I am a little late in discussing the revolution we had from that Oriental culture, but since I have long wanted to write it, I write.
I don’t know how it started but for me I remember accidentally coming across then popular title ‘My Sassy Girl’ and watching it out of curiosity. I wanted to know what the buzz was about, why is everyone suddenly parting their hair sideways, why is everyone making little hearts with fingers (also think the creation of the big heart with the stretching of your arms) why is everyone mumbling Korean slangs, why is when someone say ‘you look like a Korean (or someone from the Orient) it is taken as a great flattery, and most importantly why is everyone, EVERYONE (the youngsters, although I once met a middle aged man with a blonde straight side parted hair and  he looked just the opposite of ‘kawaii’) wanting to look like one of them??
I don’t despise the Orient and their culture; in fact Japan has always been one of my favourite countries.
So, after few dramas and movies I think I knew why- the lean figures, ‘kawaii’ expressions (think a smile with lower lip bitten), crystal clear skin and the fairy tale plots. And it was also easy for us Mongolian Nepalese to link features with them, the eyes especially! And I figured out that it’s more satisfying and safe to idolise someone who looks like you. Another thing is the values and attitudes that we all Asian share. Staying with our parents even after we’re 18, the food i.e. rice, the shoe opening activity before entering a house amongst others.
I also remember how hit ‘boys before flowers’ was how hit the word ‘sunbae’ was after that! Okay I admit, despite the self-control I too was blown away by Kim Joon (at first I thought he looked like Lord Krishna!!) and even wrote stories about him (talk about intense crush!
Everyone listened Big Bang, Rain, SNSD, and many other artists. Optimistically speaking this proves that music has no language barrier.
2008-2010 were perhaps the peak years for this brief culture take-over. And suddenly having noodles and reading an anime was in ‘vogue’
There was a time I completely detested this influence but as they say ‘never judge a book by its cover’ I am actually quite glad of this ‘revolution’

7 Fashion influences-
-It taught us that you don’t have to be 7year old to dress/act cute

-Oversize Pullovers and leggings with sneakers/uggs make a comfortably cute outfit.
-It taught us how to accessorize almost everything! From hair to cell phone.

-You don’t have to wear kohl to be pretty!

-It taught us how to do hair buns in any part of your head and still look cute. 

-And last but not the least colors! winter was suddenly colorful
-short hair doesn't mean tomboy

(but it made us jealous of their school uniforms!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment